Opera Theatre of the Rockies to present Verdi’s Aida in May
Contact: Susanne Wheeler ([email protected])
- Opera Theatre of the Rockies presents Verdi’s Aida at the new Ent Center for the Arts, UCCS on May 10, 12 and 13, 2018. Toast Opera Theatre’s 20th Anniversary at a festive Champagne Gala Reception with fun and food on May 10 at 5:00 pm in the magnificent Betty and Murray Ross Lobby before the opening night performance. Opera Theatre’s Aida is the first opera offered in the Shockley-Zalabak Theater.
- Verdi’s masterpiece, Aida, a worldwide favorite, is known for its stirring plot and characterizations along with gloriously rich music. The production will include unique projected backdrops that will showcase the Colorado Springs Chorale as opera chorus and the Bee Vradenburg Opera Theatre of the Rockies Orchestra. Special lighting effects will complement the internationally acclaimed lead singers in costume.
- Thursday evening, May 10 at 7:00 pm, Saturday evening, May 12 at 7:00 pm and Sunday afternoon, May 13, 2018 at 3:00 pm. The Gala Celebration is May 10 from 5:00 to 6:30 pm.
- Shockley-Zalabak Theater, Ent Center for the Arts, UCCS, 5225 N Nevada Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80918
- Aida tickets are $24 to $65. Opera Theatre’s elegant 20th Anniversary Champagne Gala Celebration with fun and food will be held on Opening Night, May 10 from 5:00-6:30 pm in the Betty and Murray Ross Ent Center Lobby before the performance. Cost is $50 per person.
- For tickets to the opera and the Gala Celebration, contact the Ent Center Box Office at (719) 255-3232 or visit the Ent Center Box Office between the hours of 10:00 am and 3:00 pm Monday-Friday. For online tickets, go to UCCSpresents.org. For general information about Opera Theatre of the Rockies, visit their web site at operatheatreoftherockies.org.
Opera Theatre of the Rockies is proud to kick off its 20th Anniversary Spring Season by presenting a worldwide favorite opera, Verdi’s heart rendering and audience favorite, Aida. It has been performed through the centuries in almost every major opera house in the world.
Written by Giuseppe Verdi and sung in Italian, Aida was premiered at Cairo’s Opera House in 1871, Aida is a dramatic opera composed in four acts. Set in ancient Egypt during the pharaohs’ reign, the opera is a tragic love story of the warrior Radames and his love for the Ethiopian slave, Aida. She is torn between her love for him and loyalty to her country. The story line involves deep-felt patriotism, jealousy, elements of war and the conflict between a strong sense of duty versus deep felt love.
There are six main characters in Aida all of whom have been expertly cast by Opera Theatre’s Artistic Director and Producer, Martile Rowland. They are internationally acclaimed singers, Marsha Thompson as Aida, Ta’u Pupu’a as Radames, Katherine Goeldner as Amneris, Brian Major as Amonasro, Ashraf Sewailam as Ramfis, Erik Kroncke as The King, Humberto Borboa as The Messenger and Carolyn Hoehle as the High Priestess. Steven LaCosse is the Stage Director and James Albritten the Conductor. Deborah Jenkins Teske is Chorus Master and Director of the Colorado Springs Chorale. Daniel Brink is Music Director.
Aida is the 36th different opera production presented by Opera Theatre of the Rockies during its 20 year history in Colorado Springs. Artistic Director and Founder Martile Rowland is proud to collaborate with The Colorado Springs Chorale performing as the Chorus and the Bee Vradenburg Opera Theatre of the Rockies Orchestra to bring this production to the Shockley-Zalabak Theater at the Ent Center for the Arts at UCCS. It will be the first main stage opera performance offered in the new Theater.
Aida will be performed on Thursday, May 10 at 7:00 pm, on Saturday, May 12 at 7:00 pm and again on Sunday, May 13 at 3:00 pm. To celebrate Opera Theatre’s 20th Anniversary Season, there will be an Opening Night Pre-Opera Champagne Gala Celebration held in the Betty and Murray Ross Lobby at the Ent Center starting at 5:00 pm on May 10. Tickets for the May 10 Gala Celebration will cost $50 per person. Aida tickets range in price from $24 to $65 and are currently on sale at the Ent Center Box Office at 719-255-3232 or by visiting the Ent Center Box Office between the hours of 10:00 am and 3:00 pm, Monday through Friday. Visit UCCSpresents.org for online tickets.