ANNOUNCING 2018 OPERA THEATRE GOES TO SCHOOL PROGRAM
Featuring Guiseppe Verdi’s masterpiece
For twenty years, Colorado Springs teachers of all subjects have been enjoying the OTR’s award winning continuing education program as a fun and exciting content integration opportunity! Participation is simple and easy!
- Fill out and send in your application. We will email you a welcome letter confirming your participation and all the details of this year’s program.
- Attend the teachers’ continuing education class on Tuesday evening, March 6, 2018 from 4:00-8:00 pm at Broadmoor Community Church, 315 Lake Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80906. Valerie Nicolosi, OTR’s Director of Education and Martile Rowland, OTR founder and producer will present the class. Dinner will be served! Live Singers will perform!
- Incorporate opera and Aida into your classroom curriculum using the materials and methods we provide! (Or invent you own forms of content integration!)
- Bring at least ten students to the May 9, 2018 student performance at the NEW ENT Center for the Arts: 5225 N Nevada Ave, Colorado Springs, CO 80918 Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 6:30 pm (Curtain time).
- Write a brief Course Evaluation (form provided) and have some students provide simple feedback as well.
Other elements of our program include:
- Curriculum resources to assist in content integration, along with detailed background on the opera, composer, political and historical significance, sound recording samples, Pikes Peak Library Resources, You Tube links and other tools to assist with incorporating opera into your classroom studies.
- A limited number of schools will qualify to host an In-school Opera Preview workshop featuring our traveling artists performing selections from Aida! *
- All participating teachers who complete all course elements are eligible to receive continuing education credit.**
*IN-SCHOOL PREVIEWS: In-school musical previews are scheduled for April 14-May 4, 2018. Schools desiring a live visit by our performers need to first get approval from their school administration. Once a date has been set and administration approval received, Opera Theatre lead singers, a program director and pianist will come to your school and present an interactive workshop featuring excerpts from Verdi’s Aida. Our grant funding allows us to visit approximately 10-12 schools total. Preference will be given to schools that can bring the most students to see our performers when they come.
**CONTINUING EDUCATION CREDITS
Three ways to get a continuing education credit for participating in
Opera Theatre Goes to School
- ALL participating teachers who complete all course elements will receive a signed certificate for 15 contact hours from Opera Theatre of the Rockies.
- Teachers can request a CDE certificate for their contact hours from D11 by circling “Y” after “Taking for D11 CDE Contact hours?” on their OTR application.
- Teachers may also receive one “In Service Credit” for taking this course through D11. An additional $50 fee payable to D11, and a completed D11 application must be submitted at the March 6 class to earn this credit. Applications will not be available until the March 6 class.Each school district has different credit requirements for teacher credits. Participating teachers must confirm credit authenticity and value with their individual School Districts and administration.
This year’s opera production of Guiseppe Verdi’s Aida, will be sung in Italian with English supertitles, costumes, projected backdrops, all performed in collaboration with the 130 voice Colorado Springs Chorale and full orchestra, conducted by James Allbritten and directed by Steven LaCosse.
OPERA BACKGROUND: Since its Cairo premier in 1871, Verdi’s masterpiece Aida has continued to be one of the most popular operas of all time, drawing crowds with great spectacle, famous music and a war-torn love triangle that has melted hearts around the globe. Set in ancient Egypt and full of drama and grandeur, Aida is a fabulous introduction to the opera world for any age.
“I just loved it all so much, I could watch it all day long!”
Elliza / Skyview Middle School
“Some students discovered a love for opera! This unit contradicted many incorrect presumptions students had about opera.”
Katie Stafford, teacher / Ridgeview
STUDENT PASSES: Teachers must register to take the class in order to receive the 10 student passes to the May 9 performance. Student passes are $5 each. Teachers participating in OTR’s program receive one free pass for themselves. There are three possible ways to purchase your passes:
1) Bring a $50 check (10 students) made out to Opera Theatre of the Rockies to the class on March 6 to receive your student passes that night. You can collect the money from your students later.
2) Order your passes via mail by sending your check (Made out to Opera Theatre of the Rockies) along with a passes order form (link below) to OTR at Opera Theatre of the Rockies, PO Box 8110 Colorado Springs, CO 80933. Orders must be postmarked NO LATER than May 2, 2018. Student passes purchased by mail will be held at the Will Call to be picked up before the show on May 9. Email confirmation will be sent.
3) Student passes can also be purchased during the school visits, with cash or checks.
Additional student passes may be available for purchase, depending on the number of participating schools. Seating is limited though, so please do not expect to purchase student passes the night of the show. No financial transactions will take place May 9, before the show. All student passes must be paid in full before May 9, or postmarked before May 2, 2018.
For more program information about Opera Theatre Goes to School
Valerie Nicolosi, Director of Educational Outreach
Opera Theater of the Rockies Goes to School is only able to bring our programs to teachers and students thanks to the great generosity of our sponsors. A deep heartfelt thank you to:
Opera Theatre of the Rockies
Bee Vradenburg Foundation
Pikes Peak Community Foundation Fund for the Arts
Pikes Peak Opera League
Dr. Susan Rae Jensen & Mr. Tom Trainer
Hester E. & Edwin W. Giddings Foundation
Colorado Creative Industries
Chase Stone Trust